Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Summer Fashion

I love summer- hot nights and hot days, barbecues, beer, baseball games, the beach, and hanging out with friends. What I don’t love is the hot, often sticky weather and what it does to my hair. Seriously, it poufs up and out and I end up putting in a whole bunch of product that ends up making it worse. I also don’t enjoy sweating through all my clothes after 0.5 seconds of leaving the house. That’s why this summer I decided to rely on a wardrobe of versatile dresses in colors other than black. Okay, I lie…I have 2 black shirtdresses that I plan on wearing to death. It’s impossible to give up black entirely and it just wouldn’t be in my nature to not wear black 75% of the time. Here are some of my picks for the perfect summer dresses and how to wear them.

For play: Forever 21 halter dress, $29.80
The color is striking against pale or tan skin and the shape is superflattering (it masks a tummy after you've had too many cocktails.) I’d forgo any necklaces on this one and stick to silver or gold hoops and a nice cuff bracelet. Okay, here’s the fun part- you can wear it during the day with flat gladiators or wedges and swap the shoes for a hot sandal at night. Brilliant!

For work (or play): Arden B. silk/cotton blend tunic, $78
Easy and breezy. The silk/cotton blend is super breathable and ensures that you’ll stay cool even in the hottest summer day. Layer over leggings for work or wear alone for after work. There’s seriously nothing easier to wear than a shirtdress and this one is so fucking perfect. I got it in both brown and cream so I have many options. Throw on a lightweight, colorful scarf and big shades and you’re good to go.

No comments: