Thursday, May 1, 2008

May Day, Mayday

Anthropologically speaking, race is only a socio-political concept, as there is no discernible difference between humans. It is all credited to biological variation with no one "race" either superior or inferior to the other. Race (and I do mean "race") has been used to justify a number of heinous crimes and discriminatory policies throughout the history of this country (and the world.) Unfortunately this practice does not seem to have an end. The immigration "problem" is only the latest manifestation of narrow minded legislative implementation. What, if anything, makes undocumented immigrants undesirable? These people are an important part of the US economy, generation billions of dollars of revenue and yet they are treated as if they don't even exist.

Today I had the pleasure to witness one of the most moving displays of human solidarity- the Immigrants Rights rally in downtown Chicago. The energy in the air was incredible and I felt truly inspired (inspired enough to write a post about something other than Man Candy.) I think that the people, working together, can really make a difference and make strides towards achieving equality amongst everyone. I think that the best way to achieve this is to elect a president that's visionary and really cares about the most pressing issues right now. Ok, shameless plug here for Obama! But yeah, seriously... it's time for change.

I just so happened to have my camera on me today so I snapped some pics:
"Si, se puede"


"Opression"


"Hope"

No comments: