Thursday, May 22, 2008

Love Is (Color) Blind

There’s an interesting piece in Jezebel on dating outside your race. Some people view it as “vengeance dating”- dating someone of a different race with the purpose of pissing other people off (presumably family or people of your own race.) It’s fucked up. Whatever happened to dating someone because you like them…the person? It’s not a question of race, it’s a question of being attracted to an individual and that has nothing to do with skin color or eye shape. I’m white and I’ve tasted the rainbow (haha, Skittles) and I like it all. Sometimes I fixate on a particular type of guy, so much that a friend of mine “accused” me of reverse racism, but generally I find ALL races attractive.

I really don’t understand how some people can exclude a whole group of people from their pool of what they consider attractive. Especially when they are referring to people of their own ethnic background. Another friend of mine claims that she could never date an Asian guy (even though she’s half-Chinese) because “I just don’t find them attractive.” WTF? That ain’t right, yo. There’s something attractive in every ethnicity, you just have to open your mind- and legs- just a teensy tiny bit, and put aside stupid white-centric ideas of attractiveness, in order to see it. Love is color blind. Maybe that’s just my silly/idealistic take on it but I like it and I'm sticking to it!

1 comment:

Arria Marcella said...

Lust is color blind too!