Monday, April 14, 2008

Mr. Right...or Mr. Right Now?

The top 15 qualities women look for in a man, according to the Internet Bible of stay-at-home wives (that would be ivillage.com)

1. Honest
2. Supportive
3. Funny
4. Caring
5. Sensitive
6. Loving
7. Goal Oriented
8. Handsome

9. Fun
10. Independent

11. Cuddly
12. Good to His Mother
13.Humble

14. Financially Stable
15. In touch with his feminine side

I say, what a bunch of crap. Not that there's anything wrong with all these qualities per se but one would be hard pressed to find all these rolled up into one hot, washboard abbed package. Actually, I believe that the "perfect" man does not, in fact, exist. I'm willing to bet that whoever came up with this list included characteristics that their exes actually LACKED?
My problem with coming up with such dumb lists is that no man will ever live up to it. He could be all of those things at times but never everything all at once. In my experience, I've fallen for the guys that I least likely expected to. If I were to make a list of ideal qualities and stick to it they would never measure up to those standards (and that's not meant to be a diss.) For example, I suppose my ideal guy would be at least 6 ft tall. But does that mean that anyone who's not 6ft tall is automatically "out'? Nope. There was a guy who was barely half an inch taller than me and he made me smile whenever I thought about him.
Too often I think that women look for individual traits in a guy and fail to see the whole package. The whole is always greater than the sum of its parts.

No comments: